Setting up a home routine!
So in a previous post, I discussed what we can do with our kids that are at home with us and how to build in some learning times for them. Now I was to discuss setting this up a schedule. Now I am a personality teaching style A, there is a schedule for everything and everything can have a schedule... BUT not everyone is like that. (trust me I see it). Small steps and small plans can work for helping the days seem more productive.. All schedules look different and fit different needs. Mine helps me to be productive but also set aside time to focus on family, learning, and healthy relationships with my family while I am at home. My schedule changes based on day of the week or weekend, and if my husband (who works 24hrs at a time) is home or not. Even with these little tweaks, I feel that my kids can learn to build a healthy independent stamina and family time stamina during our weeks and years.
1. Think about your day, personalty, and when you are the most productive.
I work the best in the morning, like to create a tight schedule for my sanity, and by the late afternoon start to trail off into a tired stooper.. I also need a good solid 30 mins in my day with quiet and time to watch a show I want to or read or do something while the kids are not in my presence.. (healthy for me or it shows) also know when you need work- time and remember you may need to have things for kids to do while your working or have them watch a movie while you need to work can help.. It takes time and flexibility.
2. Decide if it is just winging it or write it down and if you are a time scheduler or just the activities kinda person.
I am a write it down kinda gal and tweek as I go.. Also a visual person so seeing it helps me stay focused. I am also a loose stay on a kinda time person- rough estimates for activities but for lunch bedtime and naps I am not loose at all- just my preference
3. Start slow:
Again trying things out is hard and lots of work but when you find something that works for you and your family it will create a better working/ home environment.
Here is an example of our schedules :
We have more than one since not every day is exactly the same!
We have more than one since not every day is exactly the same!
Level 1:
Easiest and most important schedule:
Everyone is alive by the end of the day we good! (my need a day off schedule)!!!
-sometimes this day we clean a bit more- like organize toys ect. usually a bit rough but relearning that mom doesn't clean everything is a good reminder. list things they can clean then check off the list
Level 2:
Wake- EAT
Read together
Play- (think of a few ideas for independent play to help)/ work time
Chores- help clean up
Outside sometime or dance party
Play- together
Lunch- EAT-
Nap- if still possible- mom quiet time/ kids play quiet if not napping
Movie (work time)
outside- Playtime (think of 2 fun things they enjoy and can do alone)
Dinner- EAT
chore: clean up- all of us
night stuff - play a game
bedtime
Most days for us: M-Fri
Wake up: 7 am girls are first they get a granola bar and watch a show till I am up.
8 am I am up and got Garrett up and changed
830-9- breakfast, clean up, and probably another cartoon to just let the day sit-in
845-10- Bible/ School- Reading skills / Learning time/ 15 min RECESS/ 20-30 min reading time
10-11- Mom does a 30 min free workout/ runs downstairs while the girls free play and Garr runs
around me, while working out
11-12 LUNCH- eating cleaning up
12-3 Gars nap, Mom eats lunch alone in quiet while the girls Read- 20 mins independently
again, then playtime or sometimes Ipad ( more than before now with so many free
resources to learn), or a bible story online, adding in some quiet math games
200-300 Math/ afternoon light learning activity- like card games or activities I have found or
more playtime if they are rocking
the playtime
330-5 being together finding more things to do together like reading, playing, coloring, legos
running ect.
this time is varied and usually has a movie in it if I am tired, or dance parties extra
activities that don't require planning just having a good time allowing it to flow
5-6 Eat dinner, help clean up from the day (usual chaos but they all eat in the end)
6-7- Family time- games, playing with a balloon or balls, running, anything without a TV or
phones ( if dad is home lots of roughhousing!)
7-730- all kids in bed good time to work or relax.
If this is overwhelming then don't just give up. I have found and am finding what is working for us. Sometimes our days look like this and some have WAY more "free-time" so to let loose and let Dad just have some more unstructured time with the kids. Also there are days when I am needing a "day off" and things just flow.. SO this is more structures but some days are less. I tend to know that at this house it is better to have a "IDEA" for the kids when going to independent play.. So I have a running list in my head to help them think of ideas.. Puzzles, legos, barbies, CHORES (yes we do), princesses, dress up, blocks, coloring, ... I also tend to set up little centers (like at school) to have out during these times (school breaks, christmas break ect) so they have some options and I don't have to dig stuff out of a closet.. DO as much or little as you want.. Just start being more present and family time-oriented..


Comments
Post a Comment