Mother's Day Perspective


As I sit back on the morning after my third- first- Mother's day my heart is taken back by the love given me from my husband and children but also the love and sacrifice is given by my mother and other mothers I have! 

My first Mother's Day my mind was wrapped around the blessing God had given me and the thought - "Man I work so hard I should have a day totally set apart for me." I got that waited for a nap, servant-like care, and yet inside somewhat disappointed because I still had to change a few diapers, and clean up a few things.

My Second -First Mother's Day, added a second child after 2 years, so blessed again, struggling with emotions and depression from this change and yet I had a great day of doing whatever I wanted, being with family, going to a movie with a friend. Again at the end of the day still feeling like there may have been more of "me time" I needed.

Fast Forward to yesterday 3 years later my Third- First Mother's Day. After 3 children and being married for almost 8 years my perspective has changed and grown and been so blessed! After waking up twice to a wonderful blessing in the middle of the night, learning how to get to sleep and stay asleep, I didn't get that walk alone to listen to music, but I did get some coffee to fuel my day!! Then I was able to facetime my mom with a cup of coffee for a Mother's Day coffee date. Though I would love to be with her and just sit with coffee together we both know that will take a few more years to attain, and yet it was wonderful to see my mom and love on each other for a little while! My husband made breakfast and kept the kids from beating each other up. At the end of the day I was surprised to have felt so overwhelmed by love and gratitude not only from the physical gifts given to me but  I thank God for renewing my heart and perspective on this Mother's Day!

My Now Perspective

Mother's Day for me is hard to always receive because I am so grateful to my Mom and Moms I have had along my journey. They have sacrificed dreams, plans, money, time, and so much more to help me to start my own journey that I feel so far behind that for my children! My heart is blessed with the perspective of Gratitude.

As the cartoon portrays, when we are blessed by motherhood, through the struggles unseen, the ones given to the lord, the ones who are not from our wombs but from our hearts, the questions and time or the surprise blessings, we sign up for an endless moving journey that doesn't have days off (even if we want some), constant feeding, changing, helping, nurturing, disciplining, losing sleep, waking up and falling asleep over and over again. No Mother's Day can be completed without some part of you Momma guiding, feeding, sharing, and just doing what you have been since they arrived in your hearts. God has offered these gifts to us to change our lives more than just more work. God has given us these blessings to help us become more like Him If we choose to. We can become less selfish, more giving, more loving, more prayerful, sacrificing these seemingly big parts of us, sleep included, to gain more perspective on Him. God doesn't call moms to be in a constant state of rest but to - raise our children in the way they should go. That doesn't give us any "time" off but can become a way of restful prayerful times that energize us. 

This Mother's Day- I got so many kisses, slobbers, gifts, hand made cards, wonderful meals, coffee and yet the dishwasher wasn't started (as my husband texted a sorry), the toys were still on the floor, all the laundry wasn't done... But this year I say who cares. I care more than the little gifts that were given were out of love, the balloon and bouquet of zevia given by my husband may not have cost a lot but the heart action of getting something, knowing me, and giving me a good laugh means so much more than a perfect home. My Husband, who I am blessed to have, always helps around the house and gives always, he gave, even more, to wash bottles, wash my coffee mug, change diapers, and basically just up whenever I needed something. His words at the end of a long day for us was  " I really don't know how you do this day in and day out" show so much respect, gratitude, and love.  We are a partnership given by God and the pure partnership we have every day is blessing enough for me to have Mother's Day every day!  

SO my perspective on this Mother's Day sees the blessings God has given you even in the busy times, the crying seasons, the long hours, and give back to God this gift by giving this love, respect and gratitude to others, especially mothers, even when you don't get a time away- God is calling us to be right where you are even when it feels overwhelming, He gives us the peace even when we have changed so many diapers or cried so many tears alone. 

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give youI do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.John 14:27

God's peace is not of this world, so don't always be looking for a nap, massage, or quiet moment seek God to find his peace in every situation. God's peace is a wonderful refreshing Mother's Day gift!

Comments

Popular Posts