Baby Boys: memoirs from a first time boy mom!


Skol vikings- don't tell his dad! (Dolphins fan)

       Little Boys! Oh my, the joy! We have been blessed with Garrett, our first boy, for almost 4 months now! He has been a joy and challenge, as babies are, and we have learned a lot about boys and how they are different than girls. Here are a few memories so far! (or should we call them funny learning moments).

Referenced at 2 months old:

      For a little over 2 months now I have been a mom to 2 wonderful girls and now a little boy. The joy of being a mom and the countless hugs and kisses are a wonderful addition to this journey I am on. The countless sleepless nights, feedings, 2 others waking you up after you just fell asleep again, sleep training, tender body, a larger body is the more realistic versions of the daily life as a mother. With the girls being 2 and 4, we had gotten into a routine of sleep, playtime, being able to travel with more ease and less stuff as we welcomed this new little bundle. We have loved the children but we don't really love everything the newborn/ first year struggles provide. This is just the reality of life. But the daily doses of smiles, kisses, and laughs help relieve some of the difficulty of this stage.
playing Balls- his mobile has sports balls and he is mesmerized by them! Usually full active jumping and kicking with them!

As I have shared previously, God has redeemed this 4th trimester of life for me. I have not been overwhelmed, depressed, as anxious, and less stressed about raising a new gift. Even though I have been redeemed and given a new perspective there are still some things I needed to learn. How to be a boy mom.

I have learned early on in the pregnancy and 4th trimester, it is better to laugh than to be frustrated.  Learning the ropes of being a first-time BOY mom is so funny..

Tummy Time

December 28, 2019, it has been a few hours since the birth of our son Garrett. Matthew and I are floored by the wonderful addition but are reminded that each child brings wonderful new things to learn, such as diaper changes. Since Garrett was born at 11:06 pm we had our first diaper change in the middle of the night. I thought to myself- oh I have been there done that... so I endeavored to lay him on the bed, since my legs were still numb, and open the diaper.. and within seconds SPASH, I was given a baptism of pee to welcome me into boy momminess!! WOW, we were soaked and tired.. Let's try again- this time diaper ready, vaseline in hand... And goopy vaseline covered we make it. I then go forth to feed Garrett and get us back to sleep.. all while covered in a layer of pee...Hi Mommy!

We venture home after 2 days in the hospital and the "waterworks" continue. I am not ready for all the flying liquids and you would hear a yelp from a mom or dad as we catch the fluids in our hands, in the clean diaper, or even a large towel we have laying everywhere to sop up any escaping pee.. We laugh as we change his clothes for the second time in this one change, as we walk around realizing we have some milk stains and pee stains all over us. Laundry is my middle name again as we realize that we "forgot" so much about being a parent to a newborn. What they don't sleep themselves? What they need us all the time? With little sleep and much to learn we ventured through the first 6 weeks regaining much of the education, we lost over the past three years!

Now skip to 3.5 months. Big boy- over 13 pounds (that was at 2 months, Linebacker or tight end??) and still eating and growing!!!  As the newborn of this baby begins to wear down and he schedules himself, eats like a famished tiger all day and begins to sleep longer through the night, we are reminded that this newborn stage is so short and we should just hold him to nap more, take time to giggle and talk together and allow this babies schedule to slow us down to be here right now! We are so grateful for the early learning that has helped us not to be covered in fluids as much anymore, the tricks that have returned to our memories, and are grateful to know that even at the most tired, or difficult that these kids grow up and become more independent, so we should enjoy the dependence more.. Also, it's crazy that a baby who would never take a pacifier then turns 3 months and decides ok I can use it sometimes.. Crazy how babies change too! And thankful for a little more independence.

Review How our boy is different than our girls:

- Plays and is more active even this young
-talks less but still enjoys a convo with mommy (think he knows I love talking)
-Changing diapers is very different.. I'll leave it to that.
-Changing clothes is so much easier- fewer colors to have to match!!

Similarities:
- Loves mom and dad
-Gift from God
-Loves their siblings
-Children of God!!!



Comments

Popular Posts