Who Am I in Christ?- God's view of a relationship with Him Pt. 1
Photo from You Version Bible App
In this series, we will be exploring Who I Am in Christ- viewing ourselves as God does! First, we will explore having a right relationship with God as He has written in the Bible. Second, we will renew our view of ourselves by seeing how God views us as his people. And Third, we will explore how a God view of us affects how we relate to and commune with others. I will be using Romans 12 as my base but will explore more verses as well. This was laid on my heart this last year as we studied this in BSF.
Who Am I in Christ? Part 1- God's view of a relationship with Him
Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. John 15:4 NIV
Grape vines in Kofu area no fruit yet but you see the view that I saw!
As I began to pray about what God would have for me when seeing my relationship with Him in HIS view this verse was brought to mind and heart. This grapevine relationship reminds me of when I lived in Kofu, Japan. This area of Japan was about 3 hours inland, by train, from Tokyo and was the basin of the area, not the altitude of Mnt. Fuji , which I did see out my apartment window if I may say. This area was known for being more agricultural growing many grapes, having rice fields ect. Though I lived in town, I saw many grape vines as I biked around to school or around town. I learned that these grapes were so meticulously taken care of through careful grooming, watering, wrapping in these paper cones which always seemed funny to me but the final product was amazing. When carefully taken care of by hand these grapes would become everything expected of them large, plump, yummy and used for their intention to be made into wine or sold for very special grapes to eat. Through this time I spent learning about grapes and seeing how specifically they were taken care of reminds me of our relationship to God. Remain in me, the grape vines are completely intact with the main stem of the plant. As we all know, spending time remaining in the vine reading our Bibles, praying, fellowship with others who are connected to the vine helps us to remain in the vine. Who is like me and is challenged by the lacking of what I would feel is the basis of a relationship with God simply knowing God and remaining in him through scripture, prayer, and fellowship? I am raising my hand! Me ME! Lord forgive me for cutting tears in my connection to the vine, I feel myself withering because I am taking control instead of remaining in you.
Next, I noticed in Japan, the farmers were carefully placing the vines to grow above the ground carefully laid on wires that helped to mold the vines to grow at their potential, as shown above in the picture of the vines. Remaining or as I saw in other versions abide or live in me requires some specific placement for us. We are to be connected to the vine to get all nutrients we need but also placed in specific places to best grow. If we don't take the time to nurture our connection to the main vine we will wither. Beyond our connection to God, the main vine is bearing fruit as God intends. The grapes in Japan were used for a very specific purpose to nourish those who partake in their product, so as in Christ we are called for a specific purpose in the community we live, the callings we receive, and the journey we are on. Are we defining our fruit based on our needs or the ultimate calling of God? As it says in the verse, we can't live separate from the vine we will not survive and produce the fruit that nourishes others as God has prepared for us. Lord, Would you forgive me for finding my own purpose for my life and give me the wisdom to follow you as you would see me to follow through your Word and through time spent seeking you. Help me to produce the fruit needed for others in the community I live in and help me see my community through your eyes. Amen
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’Matthew 22:37 NIV
Along with remaining with God and he will remain in you, He calls us to love Him and others with all of us. He calls us to love throughout the entire Bible. “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples if you love one another.” John 13:34-35. This command to love others seems so simple but if we really love others we are also in true obedient, contented, fully given to God in our hearts, souls, and minds which to be a vessel of this true love for others. This God Love is so much more than being good to others or just simply saying I love you to others. God's self-sacrificing, servant-minded love was seen when Jesus came to the world as a baby. Jesus was brought to earth to show us God's love through the most vulnerable, humble way through a baby. Jesus was a baby, human and yet fully divine and yet his diapers were changed, he was fed until he learned to feed himself. In this way, God gave us the most humble version of his love. Then as Jesus grew into a child he was taught by family and friends, just as other children but God and Jesus had a father-son relationship where he could just forget what others were saying and solely rely on God; but I imagine Jesus learned how to connect to his Biological father just as we learn how to have a relationship with God. Then as the time for his life came to a close at such a young age, in his 30s, He served others always daily. He healed, prayed to talk to his Father to guide Him, and had human feelings to sort through as we do. He dealt with the human limitations while being fully divine. Amazing. Then the ultimate show of God's love was God's giving us his son to die for all of our sins. The total sacrifice for others beyond our own limitations. God's love is humble, vulnerable, servant-minded to God and for others, need to be connected to God for strength and guidance, and ultimately sacrificial for others.
This call to love is asked of us for others and is asked for us in our relationship with God. God calls us to love Himself with this kind of love (humble, vulnerable, servanthood, connected to God, and sacrificial). He calls us to a relationship of full love in our hearts, pouring the word of God into our hearts to transform our human heart into God's heart for himself and for others. He calls us to have the mind of Christ, to be studying his word but allowing our hearts to be connected to our minds so to have his wisdom guiding us. And our souls to be connected to Himself so the Holy Spirit can guide us in our daily lives to do his calling- To love God and love others. This simple command is the center of our relationship to God but requires us to daily sacrifice our human limitations to give ourselves fully to God being what he created, A being to love him and to show love to others. Lord, I lay down again my sins my human flesh that fights against giving you all of me to be yours and have this close relationship with you. Give me the wisdom to remain in you and love you with my heart, soul, and strength so I can love others with your love not my version of your love! Amen
Remember:


Comments
Post a Comment