DIY side sleeper pillow
DIY side-sleeper pillow
As you know now, the Vanden Top house is growing by one small addition and that being a human addition, and since finding this out I instantly began research for a side sleeping pillow. As this is my third pregnancy, I knew that sciatic nerve pain and low back tightness would be in my near future. This is one thing that has been prevalent in all my pregnancies. Also, I am a back sleeper and knowing I would need to transform into a side sleeper again I wanted a pillow to support my body so this would be an easy transition. Last few pregnancies I bought a cheap body pillow trying to make that work finding out that half-way into the pregnancy and after folding it two or three times, that it was not working. This time, with our desire not to spend too much money, I am trying out this side-sleeper pillow.
Materials Needed:
- 1 body pillow- mine was $10 from Target
- sewing machine- makes things so much easier
- 2 body pillow covers- mine were from Target.
- 2 pieces of 3 inch or larger elastic- I used some random leftovers I had
- 2 metal snaps - I used pearl snaps I bought from Joanns
Disclaimer- My style of DIY even in sewing is less about exact and more about fitting it to the project to you. I am describing a project but not to the exact measurements that may work for you.
First, I opened the end of the body pillow taking out all the stuffing. I split the stuffing into 2 smaller piles. With the empty white pillowcase, I cut it into 2 equal long pillow cases. Sew the side of the pillowcase to close the hole, restuff the pillows and sew the opening at the top closed to create 2 long pillows as shown above.
Second, I took the 2 body pillowcases and sized them down to fit each new pillow. I usually do this by measuring the width of the pillow and adding 2 inches. I ended up cutting off about 6 inches from the original pillowcases, hence you can't just cut each in half and call it good.
Third, I got my elastic prepped for the connection. This is going to be used for keeping the pillows close enough together to be comfy and keep them on the bed when you flip. (I tend to be rough on sheets and pillows go flying!) All I did is attach the pearl head on the ends of the elastic- as per the directions on the snaps! The length of the elastic is all up to your preference. I layed inbetween the pillows and roughly measured how close I wanted, allowing for a growing tummy!
Next, I attached the back side of snaps to the pillowcases. As you see I kept my 2 snaps closer to the top so I would end up laying on the straps keeping them close and not hindering my flipping down at my knees. I measured about 6 inches from the top and 18 inches between the snaps. I did this same measuring for each pillow. They don't have to be so exact but close!
This is what it looks like to have the 2 elastic bands connected to the pillow! These snaps have allowed me to keep the pillows close but also if I get flipping and want them disconnected then they just snap off- even while sleeping!









Comments
Post a Comment