DIY big soaker burp clothes
Today we are going to tackle the burp cloth game. If you have had children, grandchildren, you are an aunt, friend, or anyone who has seen a baby, you know that they come with so many fluid and little knowledge on how to keep them in places they need to. Since having my first, and learning the power of a big soaker burp cloth, I have sought out how to make them myself so they don't cost me an arm and leg. The burp cloths in the stores are so thin and small that they are better to be used like a washcloth than anything to be used while wiping up a baby's many slobbers or spills. I saw a tutorial on Pinterest and adapted it to ability and style.
Big Soaker Burp Cloths
What you need:
- Terry Cloth or towels you can cut up. 1 towel makes about 2 sets of my burp cloths
I get mine on sale at Target- love the color selection. ( I find that towels are cheaper than
buying by the yard.) - Flannel- 1 yard for many burp clothes or 1/2 for a 1 set of three (with no diaper pouch)
I use baby flannel from a craft store - you can match the flannel to terry cloth- so cute - Sewing Machine and Serger is optional (this is a basic sewing tutorial adding a diaper pouch
maybe a tad more involved.) I'll give tips along the way. - Thread - matching or not your choice
- Needle- Tip I have a basic machine and a size 14-16 when adding more than 2 layers of fabric. You will know if they work or not- it gets stuck check thread and needles sizes.
- Button or velcro to use as a closure
- Make a pattern for yourself- easy to do with paper
- Wash material- My mom would say so, so would many better sewers but I don't unless I'm using white and there would be some bleeding of colors.. Just my way. not really that patient.
- First, I made patterns to keep my small, medium, and large burp cloths the same size. I use a thicker paper to help keep the pattern for longer. My sizes are - Small-7 x 13, Medium- 9 x 20, Large- 13 x26 inches. Measure it out on the paper, cut and round edges. Easy!
- Next cut out your pieces- Tip- I cut out the flannel then place it (right side down, or colorful side on the terry, pin it into place, then cut it out. This allows you to be ready to sew directly after cutting! If you are asking -What is the right side? Check this link for a quick video explaining this process.
- Using the picture below sew a 1/2 inch seam around the perimeter, leaving a 2-inch gap on one side to flip the material right side up after. I use a serger but if you do not have one a regular machine seam will work just as well. ( If making a diaper clutch see below-added tips) (If using a button closure you need to sew some elastic or string, as the loop, in with this first sewing placing the loop inside- the right sides).
- Flip the material right side up. ( use pins to fold the hole under like the seam and get it ready to sew around the outside.)
- Sew another seam around the outside of the perimeter See picture below (this is just to hold the material down, closes the 2-inch hole, and it can be decorative - use a decorative stitch if you wish!)
- Optional but looks better: I like to run 2 stitches around the folds of the material See picture below- this is also to connect the material together so after washing and such the shape holds better.
- Chose your closure- button - velcro sew it after you planned your spot.
- Enjoy! Put a bow on it- or get those fluids wiped up!
- If you are adding a diaper pouch SEE instructions below!
If you are trying this take to heart the process that will require a few mistakes to learn how to do it better. As you make more you will find easier ways to do this yourself! Share them with me and others! This is how we learn together!!!
Adding a diaper clutch pouch:
- Cut an extra piece of flannel and terry cloth- SEE picture- I folded the pattern in 3rds and use that for a large pocket for diapers wipes ect.
- Next Sew a seam, right sides together, on the top of this to create a finished seam edge for the finished product. Flip it so rights sides are facing you then add to the layers below.
- Layer your material 1. full sized flannel cut out 2. flannel side of pouch 3. large terry piece
- Pin it
- Sew seam with 2-inch hole
- Flip right side up- sew decorative stick around the outside.
- Finish with velcro or button














I loved the set you made for Julie- still using it!
ReplyDelete