Renewing our minds



Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Romans 12:2a

As we journey in this life, we are bombarded with business, repetitive mindless checking on things, always connected to a source to get information and make our lives easier. We plan our meals based on what picture pops up on apps, we have our necessities delivered straight to our doorway, and we create platforms for spilling our minds on apps that do not require us to see others reactions or know if we have offended anyone. These days relationships are based many times on what you like on Pinterest, or what pictures we have seen on other sites. This being our grounds for what any generation will believe is a relationship or learning how to be social stunts our growth when trying to relate this technological world to our relationship with God. As I have struggles seeing this and relating it to God, I feel that the basics of our relationship with God have not changed and need to be shown to our new generation, and remind older generations, so we can pass on the true relationship that is easier than a text or waiting to see what people post on apps to prove they are alive and well.

1. Reading the word of God



Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’' Matthew 4:4

As we examine our relationship with a never changing God, we find strength and spiritual growth when we keep our minds and hearts renewed by the word of God. Thankfully today we have the bible on our phones which makes reading it more accessible, but I have been challenged by a friend who asked, "Even though we have the bible app on your phone, Do you use it?" Just having the app won't deepen your relationship with God taking time to read it and study will. My response to my friend was a shame that I didn't use it as much or cracked open my bible as much as I felt called to do. Paul writes in Romans 13:2 "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." NIV. This has challenged me to go to God and seek him and his word for my mind renewal not the daily checking in to see how others are fairing. I used to get a false "renewal" or mommy vacation from taking an hour to brainlessly check things on my phone only to get done and feel even more spiritually empty because I was not filling myself up with the word of God. I find myself continually getting trapped again by the brainless vacation on my phone but I feel God calling me to wake up and get my mind on him and his word.  Pray with me to let God fill the time we need to renew and less on the busy quick fixes that leave us more empty.


2. Prayer



They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Acts 2:42

Another aspect of our relationship with God is talking with our all-knowing God. This is one area that is so easy and can be done anytime all day, but for me seems to be one of the most challenging things to do. Because of my busy day with the girls at, since 4 years ago, I have found that sitting still and taking time to be actually quiet is very hard for my brain. I have always been a deep thinker and a fast thinker my mind usually working on the next project, next job I have to do, or lately the next birthday party to have, but being a stay at home mother I have found that my quiet brain needs work. After the girls go to bed around 7 or so, and since my kiddos are a tad older, they go to bed and sleep so I have "my time". This is full of me trying not to do any laundry, watching a show, or in reality getting ready for the next day. This doesn't encourage my mind to slow down and build a talking relationship with God. Lately, in order to quiet my mind, I have been getting books at the library that I enjoy to take some mental time to slow down, or then purposely get out my devotional and bible so I can use the quiet house as a time to reflect on God and his will for my life. This is not easy for me and takes lots of failure and practice for me to quiet down but then after quieting down my heart takes over and prayer time becomes my heart's desire. I pray that finding time to pray and slow down becomes a practice for you. 


3. Fellowship


They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Acts 2:42

As I have learned after joining BSF, fellowship with other women of God is vital for a renewal of our minds.  For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them. Matthew 18:20. As we see in the bible over and over again, groups of believers were gathering together praying reading the word of God and fellowshipping with each other. This is another vital part of the renew. God doesn't call us to live alone away from everyone but to carry each other's burdens and enjoy studying the word of God together encouraging others in God. As we seek out other women of God to talk about struggles, seek out the Word of God and pray together we are able to see God through the light shining in others keeping our spirits lifted and see God revealing things to us through others who are seeking his name as well!  

Would you take small steps with me to renew our mind through Reading God's Word, Praying, and fellowshipping with other believers? Find renewal when we rely on God and see his light 

Comments

  1. Thank you Molly! You nailed it: I do the same thing, trying to find my renewal by getting on my phone or watching tv. But it’s not there. I want to/ need to take small steps with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment